Gas-powered lawnmowers are a large source of unhealthy air pollution in Central Texas and generate Carbon Dioxide emissions that are changing our climate. To address these environmental challenges the Central Texas Electric Lawnmower Program is offering to help you upgrade your existing gas-powered mower to an electric model.
Save upwards of 25% off of the cost of a new Homelite corded electric mower when you trade in your gas-powered mower at the store listed below. For more information and to reserve a mower please call Scott at (512) 389-2250 (land line).
Please read the latest peer-reviewed study from the Federal Government on Climate Change:
|Regular Price***||Sale Price||You Save!|
|20” Homelite Cordless (Battery) Model||$319.00||$255.00||$64.00**|
|20” Homelite Corded Model||$219.00||$164.25||$54.75**|
Home Depot at 1200 Barbara Jordan Austin, Texas 78723
Mueller Home Depot telephone number (512) 703-4110
For more information, please call Scott Johnson at (512) 389-2250 - land line (Please leave a message)
1. Is the electric mower discount given at the time of purchase or is a check sent to me afterwards?
The discount is given at the time of purchase. Half of the rebate is received when you scrap your gas-powered mower.
2. Is this offer combinable with other rebate or discount offers? No.
3 Can I trade in my gas-powered mower to purchase an electric mower and received the 20% discount on another day besides one of the sales event days?
No, only on the sale event day.
5. Will these discounts be offered at a later time?
Saturday, April 7th is the only sales event day for 2012. We are planning to have the event again in the spring of 2013.
6. Does an electric lawnmower have the same cutting ability as a gas-powered one?
Yes. At peak engine torque electric lawnmowers have equivalent cutting ability to gas-powered mowers that are 4hp.
7. What type of electric lawnmowers will I have to choose from?
20" Homelite Corded, model #UT13120, SKU #940165 (Corded) model.
20" Homelite Cordless, model #UT13122, SKU#940165(Cordless) model. Since 2009 this model has a new, easier to remove battery.
8. How long does the charge last for the cordless, electric model? How long does it take to recharge the mower?
Approximately 60-75 minutes; enough to cut upwards of 1/4 of an acre on a single charge with grass height of less than 5 inches. Approximately 12 hours when the charge is low and only 4-5 hours with a 50% charge remaining on the battery.
9. How many years does the battery last?
Upwards of 3 years. For optimal performance recharge the battery after each use & check it every month during the winter , but do not keep the battery on a constant charge. Please do not charge the cordless model when temperatures are above 104 degrees or below 23 degrees Fahrenheit. The battery is maintenance free.
10. What is the cost of a replacement battery for the cordless model?
The owner does the battery installation. The replacement cost will be approximately
$94.00 + shipping from Homelite Consumer Products at 1-866-457-5888.
11. What is the warranty for these models?
A 2-year warranty on the mower and a 1-year warranty on the battery. Home Depot's replacement/extended warranty will cover the 20 " corded mower for 2-years beyond the manufacturer's warranty for only $24.95. For the 20" cordless model the cost for a 2-year extended warranty is only $34.95. If anything goes wrong with the battery after the first year or with the rest of the mower after the 2nd year Home Depot will send you a gift card to replace the mower for free if it's under a $300.00 purchase.
12. If I have a service or warranty issue, whom do I call?
Please call the indoor garden dept. at the Home Depot where you purchased the
Homelite electric lawnmower or call Homelite Consumer Products at 1-866-457-5888.
13. Does the corded model come with an extension cord? If not, where can I buy one?
The extension cord is not included, but can be purchased at the sales event days. A 14 gauge 50' cord costs approximately $20.00 at Home Depot
14. What is the annual electric cost for the mowers?
Approximately $6.00 per year, the same as a standard incandescent light
bulb. By comparison, Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (the spiral type)
use much less electricity, about $1.50 per year.
15. Will the new lawnmower come pre-assembled or in a box? If it's in a box are any tools required to assemble it?
The mower will be in a box. No tools are required to assemble it.
16. Do I need to use up or drain the gas and oil back into their cans before I drop it off for scrappage at the sales event day?
Yes. However, we will be able to accept very small quantities of gas and
oil when you drop off your mower to be scrapped. Also, gas and oil can be recycled at the City of Austin Household Hazardous Waste Facility (ph. 974-4343) at 2514 Business Center Dr. near Ben White Blvd. and So. IH 35. Open on Tues. & Wed. 12pm-6pm and the first Saturday of each month from 7am-12pm.
17. What will happen to the gas-powered mower that I drop off?
The non-recyclable materials are separated from the recyclable metal
ones. Then the metals are heated and reformed into usable building
materials such as rebar.
18. How should I use the corded mower to prevent running over the cord?
Start mowing from the edge of your house and work outwards towards the street or back fence.
19. How can I find out more about these electric lawnmowers and their features/benefits?
Please contact any Home Depot location.
20. Is it necessary to be a resident of Austin or Travis County to qualify for a discount?
No, simply bring in your gas-powered mower as a trade in to qualify for the maximum discount. All residents of Williamson, Hays, Bastrop & Caldwell Counties are welcome.
21. Does the gas-powered mower need to be running when I drop it off? We want mowers that are running or that are still in one piece and that can be safely transported to the metal recycler.